You may have a feeling your products or services will be successful, and perhaps you’ve had some initial interest from Japanese buyers or consumers. That’s a great start, but how to get a more accurate read on your prospects?
JapanLinx can perform a market assessment that includes:
- Details of target markets including size, segments and trends
- Competitive landscape analysis including local and foreign players
- Overall marketability of your product or service
- Entry barriers such as regulations, import tariffs, and certification requirements
- Strategic recommendations for optimal channel structure, partner selection and entry strategy
*In most cases, an investigatory trip is advisable before committing to a market entry and development plan.
Other ways to gather market intelligence include:
- Desk-based research: Much can be accomplished with some dedicated and expert searching online – in Japanese and English. Discover which of your competitors are already in Japan and how they are pricing and performing. A visit to Rakuten (“Japanese Amazon”) or Amazon.jp can often reveal which product lines have a presence, and which don’t.
- Product testing: In some cases, products can be tested on Rakuten or Amazon.jp for little cost to gauge consumer response. Various affordable Japanese survey companies can also be engaged for direct consumer feedback. To be successful, your products must be better and/or different from what is already available.
- Trade shows: Find Japanese buyers at international trade shows and approach them. They are usually willing to provide expert opinions about your potential in their home market.